In the 1950s, as IBM pioneered the development of the first computers, the world and its workforce faced the challenge of adapting to a technology they knew little about.
Fast forward to 2023, and a similar scenario is unfolding with the rise of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
AI has taken center stage in the business world this year, with companies like Nvidia attributing their blockbuster earnings to this transformative technology. Many other businesses are also recognizing AI’s potential to revolutionize their operations and boost productivity.
As AI becomes increasingly integral to the workplace, workers may wonder how to show AI skills on their résumés. Experts suggest that it’s crucial to do so and offer valuable advice on how to achieve this.
Amanda Augustine, a professional from TopResumé, emphasized the importance of keeping an open mind towards AI technologies like ChatGPT and other generative text tools.
She stated, “AI is set to play a significant role in nearly every industry, making it essential for professionals to embrace and leverage these technologies. It’s becoming an integral part of many job roles.”
Discover how to effectively showcase your AI skills to stay competitive in today’s evolving job market.
|How to show your AI skills||How to Apply the 5 Tips|
|1️⃣ Give AI a Go||Start by searching for “common uses of AI technology” in your field and explore AI tutorials to gain knowledge proactively.|
|2️⃣ Use AI Examples||Develop AI projects in your workplace, such as creating automated workflows, and include quantifiable achievements on your résumé.|
|3️⃣ List AI Tools You Know||Include AI tools you are familiar with and explain how you’ve used them in your roles.|
|4️⃣ Express Your AI Passion||Highlight any AI-related education or coursework you’ve completed and emphasize your commitment to continuous learning.|
|5️⃣ Keep It Professional||Format your résumé professionally, prioritize clarity over complexity, and use metrics to quantify your achievements.|
What you'll learn:
1️⃣ Give AI a Go
Amanda Augustine strongly encourages individuals, particularly those who haven’t yet ventured into the realm of ChatGPT, to embark on their AI journey.
- Start with a Search: Begin by conducting a search tailored to your specific interests and career field. For instance, if you’re a financial adviser, explore the various ways AI is currently employed within your industry.
- Learn from the Present: Gain insight into the prevalent applications of AI in your workplace or industry. Understand how AI is making an impact and shaping the landscape.
- Delve Deeper: Once you’ve grasped the basics, it’s time to delve deeper. Seek out tutorials and educational resources to enhance your understanding of AI technology.
Remember, proactivity is key to mastering AI skills and staying ahead in today’s rapidly evolving professional landscape.
2️⃣ Use AI Examples
Once armed with knowledge about AI applications, it’s time to showcase your competence effectively.
- Real-World Examples: Begin by identifying instances where you’ve applied AI technology in your professional life. Concrete examples are invaluable. For instance, Laurie MonteForte, spokesperson for AI-focused résumé writing firm Leet Resumés, suggests that job-seekers could utilize ChatGPT to design a ChatGPT sequence, resulting in the creation of a monthly content calendar. This AI-driven initiative could save the company specific hours each week, ultimately reducing overtime. Highlighting such an accomplishment on your résumé speaks volumes.”So, demonstrate how you use the tool to get a result, rather than just saying, ‘I use ChatGPT or I’m excited about Bard,'” advises MonteForte.
- Create Your AI Projects: If your current job doesn’t provide opportunities to utilize AI, consider embarking on side projects involving AI. These projects can serve as compelling evidence of your AI prowess.”Look at the possibility of initiating a personal project or a passion project where you can apply the skills you’re acquiring to create something meaningful. This can significantly enhance your qualifications for relevant roles,” adds Augustine.
Remember, practical demonstrations of your AI skills are instrumental in establishing your expertise and making a lasting impression in the job market.
3️⃣ List AI Tools You Know
Rue Dooley, an HR knowledge advisor at the Society for Human Resource Management, advises individuals to compile a list of AI-based tools they are proficient in and provide insights into how these tools have been applied.
In a rapidly evolving AI landscape across industries, enhancing one’s AI skills is essential.
For those seeking a career transition, such as shifting from accounting to data science, Dooley highlights the importance of bridging the skill gap. She emphasizes that acquiring additional education or upskilling may be necessary to facilitate this transition successfully.
Marc Cenedella, the CEO and founder of Leet Resumés, offers valuable guidance for individuals aiming for tech-intensive roles, particularly AI engineers.
Cenedella recommends exploring AI tools such as Langchain, a platform enabling users to develop applications using LLMs (large language models), and PromptLayer, a software designed for prompt engineering.
These tools are crucial for engineers looking to gain a comprehensive understanding of AI technology.
In summary, recognizing and listing your proficiency with AI-based tools is essential, as it showcases your expertise and adaptability in a rapidly evolving job market.
4️⃣ Express Your AI Passion
Cenedella emphasizes that pursuing AI education serves as a compelling way to express your enthusiasm and curiosity for this burgeoning field. Job seekers should proactively incorporate any AI-related educational experiences into their résumés.
For instance, platforms like Coursera, a renowned online learning platform, offer numerous courses focused on ChatGPT and related technologies.
As Cenedella puts it, “Actions speak louder than words.” Demonstrating your dedication to continuous learning and enthusiasm for AI can be achieved by highlighting your past achievements in this domain.
Include details of your coursework, whether undertaken in formal educational settings or through modern, flexible platforms like Coursera or Udemy. By doing so, you convey to prospective employers your genuine commitment to ongoing education and professional growth
5️⃣ Keep It Professional
Cenedella underscores the significance of maintaining a well-structured and easily digestible format for your AI résumé, similar to any standard résumé.
“Employers still expect to see a chronological résumé,” he notes, emphasizing simplicity. A clean, two-column layout with no graphics or color embellishments is advisable.
It’s essential to ensure your résumé is error-free, with bullet points kept concise, ideally two to three lines in length. Your professional experience should include your job title, employer’s name, and the duration of your employment.
Cenedella also stresses the importance of incorporating metrics to quantify your accomplishments.
Additionally, Dooley advises job seekers not to neglect their other skill sets while crafting their résumés. In particular, honing communication skills can help candidates stand out in a competitive job market, especially in fields where strong technical or AI abilities are prevalent.
As Dooley asserts, effective communication is a vital asset that should find a place in every résumé and cover letter, making candidates more appealing to employers.
(Source: Yahoo Finance)